Thursday, November 24, 2005

Some Questionnaire thing

I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing (but Larry did it first). I like the results though - apparently, I am a...

Haymaker

You are one of life’s enjoyers, determined to get the most you can out of your brief spell on Earth. Probably what first attracted you to atheism was the prospect of liberation from the Ten Commandments, few of which are compatible with a life of pleasure. You play hard and work quite hard, have a strong sense of loyalty and a relaxed but consistent approach to your philosophy.
Yep, I'm with this so far. I'm almost flattered.
You can’t see the point of abstract principles and probably wouldn’t lay down your life for a concept though you might for a friend. Something of a champagne humanist, you admire George Bernard Shaw for his cheerful agnosticism and pursuit of sensual rewards and your Hollywood hero is Marlon Brando, who was beautiful, irascible and aimed for goodness in his own tortured way.
Never read any George Bernard Shaw. In fact, I know shit all about him at all (see below). For champagne, substitute Stella. As for Brando, well, I prefer DeNiro - hardly the same at all. Overall though, still close enough.

Now we get onto the good stuff.
Sometimes you might be tempted to allow your own pleasures to take precedence over your ethics.
Yeah, fair enough.
But everyone is striving for that elusive balance between the good and the happy life. You’d probably open another bottle and say there’s no contest.
Yeah, fucking right. This is the best online question thing I've ever done!


So, George Bernard Shaw. Apparently (and I looked this up [1]) he's remembered cheifly for his superhuman sacrifice for the sake of an epigram:
Lady Asquith: "Mr Shaw, you and I should make love - with my looks and your brains we'd have great children."
Shaw: "Aha, but what if it had my looks and your brains?"
At which point Shaw retired to the garden to exclaim "I've just blown out a definite shag! What a stupid fucking wanker!"


[1] Baddiel, D Newman, R (1991, back when they were funny and that cunt Skinner hadn't yet shown up) The Mary Whitehouse Experience Encyclopedia, Fourth Estate Limited

2 Comments:

At 11:56 am, Blogger hungbunny said...

Apparently I am a "hairshirt". I have a compost heap, cycle to the bottle bank, give lots of money to charity, and would never do drugs. Bollocks, bollocks, bollocks, and pass the spliff.

 
At 10:50 am, Blogger 01-811-8055 said...

The thought that you're an example of an 'evolutionary journey to perfection' is what scares me most.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home